What does it feel like to be an extra for a television series?

Hi everybody,


Photo by Jakob Owens on Unsplash

I'm aware i've been a ghost on blogger for a while, I've started the third year of uni and it's been very busy since the start. However, this past weekend I took part in something exciting which was to be an extra for an upcoming miniseries. I can't disclose too much information as production is still continuing. I wanted to blog about this experience to give insight on anyone interested in doing extra work.

First of all, yes you do get paid. Second of all, it's very common to not be selected for screen time. This role involves a lot of waiting around, and at the end you might not even be needed. There were a lot of extras with me, and for what I was shooting they needed new faces quite frequently so almost everybody got used. It was a 6am start and yes most extra jobs start at this time. They supplied us with good quality and generous amount of food for the cycle of the day which made this experience even more exciting to be part of. I've heard from some people that usually extra's only get hot drinks and biscuits served. If I can recommend anything the waiting time is very long so bring a book or work to complete with you to kill time. I took this opportunity to know some of the other extra's who were far more experienced with this than me. No extra was the same, everyone was a different age and came from different backgrounds. This made socialising far more interesting and I made a few new friends.

Also, it'd be useful to note down that your application might be accepted at first and then rejected nearer to the date of shooting so make sure to always check your emails. Contrary to that you might be called in very last second. It's definitely not a job you could do full time, but as a part time thing as long as it fits in your timetable. I highly recommend it to any students who are looking to earn extra cash and get experience within the film industry. Another thing to note down are some productions have strict rules about communicating with the director, main actors etc. They're all incredibly busy doing their job and you should never speak/ look at them unless they speak to you first.

If you're going on your first job soon make sure to get plenty of sleep because once you're needed you'll be required the repeat the sequence you do quite often. This role requires lots of listening skills and patience so make sure your hydrated and awake.

Thanks for the read!

Comments

Popular Posts